RESTORATIVE ACTION CENTRE
Our Restorative Action Centre works with individuals who have committed an offence and with the individual(s) against whom the harm was done.
We are a legally recognized alternative to court and currently receive 300- 500 referrals from the Manitoba court system each year.
We bring people who have been harmed, and parties who have been charged together in a safe, structured situation where they can talk and listen to each other with the goal of building understanding and finding a resolution to the crime. Our work is based on the principles of restorative justice which considers:
- Who has been hurt?
- What do they need?
- Who is responsible for meeting those needs?
We offer a number of processes to meet the needs of the many individuals who use our services.
- Face-to-face meetings guided by trained mediators
- Restorative Action (RA) meetings with community facilitators
- Community justice forums
Ultimately, the program gives those who have been harmed an opportunity to let the person responsible know how the crime has affected their lives, and get answers to lingering questions. It helps the person charged to take responsibility for the harm they caused and make amends.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- Once your file is referred to the Restorative Action Centre, one of our caseworkers will contact everyone involved to discuss their concerns and discuss what kind of process will be most useful for everyone to move forward.
- Participation is voluntary for all parties.
- If the parties are willing to meet, a mediation session is arranged for a time convenient for everyone. Evening sessions are available.
- At the meeting, trained volunteer mediators will help the parties communicate with each other. The mediators do not make decisions for the parties, but support those who have been harmed to share information about the impact of the offense, and those responsible for the harm to answer questions, hear the impact, and develop plans for how to put things right. The mediators assist all parties to work towards a resolution that they feel is fair, and which addresses their needs.
- If an agreement is reached, the terms are written down and signed by everyone, and the agreement is submitted to the court for review. If an agreement is not reached, the case is referred back to court.
- Mediation Services will follow up on agreements to monitor their completion. Agreements often include elements such as restitution, counseling, or community service work.
- When a mediated agreement is completed, a recommendation is made that the criminal charges not proceed further in court.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
Cases are referred to the Restorative Action Centre so those who have been harmed can be involved in deciding what should happen to repair the harm. The process also gives those who have done the harm the chance to take responsibility and try to put things right with the other party.
Mediation helps participants:
- Understand why an offence happened
- Have questions and concerns answered
- Tell their story and have their voice heard
- Have a say in the outcome
- Reduces the chance of future problems
- Gives an opportunity for restitution
- Can provide referrals for additional support
based on 29 reviews
I've now taken multiple courses through Mediation services, and all of them have been facilitated well, and have provided a safe space to discuss some difficult topics.
I've experienced phenomenal instructors who care about you not only as a participant but as a professional; and have gone out of their way to help you succeed.
I would recommend these courses as a journey to a certificate throug...
I'll say it prevailed perfect 👌 to the path that there are served.
Av9for people that need help..
Well organized workshops to provide training in conflict resolution in a concise yet simple process
Mediation Services is a great institution. I took almost all the courses and loved each one, and then was privileged to serve on the Board afterward. It provides essential services for conflict resolution. I can't recommend Mediation Services enough!
Every time I take a Mediation Services course I walk away with immediately useful skills and a change of perspective I didn’t expect.
Mediation Services offers an incredible learning environment to develop conflict resolution skills. The staff is professional, and knowledgeable.
Every time I am able to take one of your courses I learn so much! I only wish I had more time to dedicate to more training. Maybe when I retire?
I have recently participated in a course with Mediation Services and have found that the material provided was very relevant and up-to-date. The facilitator was amazing and everyday I left feeling that I could put the information that was just discussed to good practice. I left with a greater understanding of the topic and confidence in using my new knowledge for future practice.
An accessible place for people to advance their careers through the available training programs. A place where you can learn about conflict management to improve your personal life. Also a place where you can access mediation for those unresolved conflicts.
Excellent trainer, useful knowledge and a worthwhile investment in your professional development.
I completed a Resolution Skills Certificate in 2017 and thoroughly enjoyed each and every session. The facilitators are top notch and each session is bursting with great information and the opportunity to practice newly learned techniques. Highly recommended to improve communication at home, at work, with friends and out in your community!
This helps you learn about certain things you need to learn about
Excellent training programs--I owe a big part of my career success to Mediation Services!
I have participated in courses at Mediation Services and found their staff to be welcoming and their instructors well-experienced and effective. I came away from the courses with practical advice and processes that I could immediately put into practice. I would highly recommend that everyone take their courses!
The staff and trainers here are second to none. A worthwhile investment!
I recommend these courses for all managers and leaders. The trainers are very professional and have great stories when providing examples.
Just completed the Resolution Skills Certificate and loved every day of training! The trainers are fantastic and give "real world" tools to maximize success in communication, coaching, change management and leadership! Excellent programs and excellent people!
Great people doing great work to build and rebuild community.